So the other night I sat down and thought hard about what my return to Novice Noms should hold. I scratched my head and began to sort through endless hours of cooking shows and online recipes that danced through my memory, trying to find something that I could dumb down and make. Ultimately, the ongoing blizzard outside narrowed my choice down to something made with ingredients lying around my apartment (keep in mind, that this usually includes pre-made burritos, cereal, some pitas, and a bag of carrots).
Luckily, my eye landed on a butternut squash that I had bought about to weeks ago, and proceeded to neglect ever since. For this weeks recipe, I crafted a simple little Roasted Butternut Squash side-dish out of this gourd (along with a few other herbs), and I think you will really enjoy it.
Check yo’self before you wreck yo’self:
- Preheat oven to 400
- Cover large baking tray with non-stick spray
- Take out a large mixing bowl for all of your ingredients
Let’s get cookin’:
- Peel and dice squash into cube about 1 in. x 1 in. This by no means needs to be perfect. But similar sized will ensure more even roasting.
- To your bowl add
- 2 cloves of pressed garlic
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp oregano
- Toss until fully coated
- Put into sheet and bake for 30 min to an hour (depending on the level of desired doneness… I like mine a little more crispy)
- Be sure to gently flip your squash every 1o minutes or so, or you are at risk of a giant stuck-on mess.
- Serve and enjoy!
And that’s about it. I told you we were going to ease back into this didn’t I? Hope you give this healthy little side-dish a shot, and until next week, enjoy!
I’m sorry for my long vacancy. That whole finishing grad school thing really was time consuming. While my PR skills have improved, unfortunately, my cooking skills are still about the same. What does that mean for you? I’m still forced to cook things that a blindfolded 5 year old could handle!
So grab your finest pan (that you’re willing to accidentally burn) and follow along as I begin to try some new Novice Noms!
Upon request. Here it goes… another incredibly awkward VIDEO POST! Enjoy!